Saturday 28 June 2014

My entry for One Minute On Earth 2014

If you haven't heard of it (and I hadn't before this year!) please go and check the www.kujaja.com website. It is a group of photographers who are running photo competitions, but also books for dedicated charities. One of their key book is the "One Minute On Earth" (OMOE) where photographers from all over the world all take a shot at the same time - this year it was at 9pm UTC on Saturday 21st June.

I decided to enter, because the photographers running it are so passionate, and it is such a great cause. For the Eastern coast of Australia, it meant it was Sunday 22nd June at 7am that I'd have to click, which is a great time to capture the first lights before the sun rises.

After a bit of to and fro, I decided to go for a shot in an iconic location, being the view of the Melbourne CBD, from the St Kilda Pier.

I put my alarm clock early enough, to have time to wake up, drive there, and set up before 7am (the photo must be taken between 7am and 7.01am). But... alarm went off, I snoozed, and I went back to sleep, only to look again at the clock to see 6.20am!!! I can tell you I've never been ready so fast, and the drive, luckily, was quick at that time of the morning (lucky - no cops either, I might have sped a tiny bit!!!), and I parked at 6.50am, with only 10 mins to walk the length of the pier, set up the tripod, and do a few tests shot. 

But apart from that, I must say it was weather perfect conditions for such a shot - although very cold (not to self - bring gloves next time!) - the air was very crisp, which made for a very sharp shot. Also, no rain, no wind, and at 7 am, the first lights are about to arrive (official first lights were at 7.10am, with sunrise at 7.35am).

Anyway, here's my entry for this year's OMOE 2014 photo book:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/photo/29362

Also, please have a look at all the entries posted on that website (http://www.kujaja.com/en/photobooks/photos/one-minute-on-earth-2014), the level of quality is really great, and the initiative is really fantastic - imaging a virtual community of photographers, all clicking at the same time around the world, unified for a common cause. Great work Gido and Francisco for organising it!

I also stayed a bit later than 7am, waiting for the sunrise, and posted one on my 500px gallery:
http://500px.com/photo/75013109


No comments:

Post a Comment