Thursday 13 February 2014

The Story behind... Dew on Agapanthus

The Story Behind...

I've just posted a new photo on my 500px portfolio (http://500px.com/photo/60868800), titled "Dew on Agapanthus"

Dew on Agapanthus - Nikon D200 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro / (c) Gilles Royer 2014

I actually started macro photography a couple of years ago, coinciding with the birth of my daughter. Why? Simply enough, this was a new way for me to continue my passion for photography, whilst not being able to travel very far nor spend too much time on it. I discovered a whole new world, and associated techniques behind macro photography.

I originally started with some close-up filters, the type you screw at the front of the lens, and they magnify the image by a certain number of diopters. A really cheap way to transform a lens into a macro lens, and to practice the skills. 

Last year though, I got a proper macro (1:1 ratio) lens, a Tamron 90mm f/2.8, that works perfectly on my Nikon D200 - not my dream lens (the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Macro), but it really does a great job. Highly recommended if you're looking for a good value for money lens to start your macro photography too!

This particular shot was taken in December last year, in the garden, where many Agapanthuses had started to blossom (check the 500px portfolio for more shots of those beautiful flowers), and I must admit I use a little trick, as I shot in midday light, and realised after a few shots something was missing - so I sprayed a bit of water on the petals, to get that dew effect. Would you have picked it up??

I hope you like it, and please feel free to leave me your feedback

No comments:

Post a Comment