Saturday 8 March 2014

Nikon lens - Buy or Repair? What to do?

I'm devastated! My trusty friend of many years, aka my Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 D (see below photo), stopped working a few weeks ago... Impossible to turn the zoom ring anymore, something is blocking it (and I don't want to force it for fear I'll make it worst - it usually turns so smoothly).


So I sent it for examination at one of the Nikon certified service and repair centre, here in Melbourne. It just came back to me with the diagnostic -  they've unblocked it, but to properly repair they ask me for over 1,000 Australian dollars! Nearly fell off my chair!

I know it's a beautiful lens, and a professional one at that, but I can't spend that much on repairing a lens, especially when I can find a (used) one for that same amount of money. I can't believe fixing something nowadays is more expensive than buying new - I know that I sound very old school (well, I'm over 40 now :-) but I still can't get used to the idea. Sure, had I paid $200 for a lens, I would expect for it not to last that long, but this one is a professional grade lens, made in Japan, out of metal (inside and out), not a plastic cheapie. 


So - what should I do? Any tips? Is there something I can do myself by buying a spare part on the internet? I really want to keep using this lens, but my budget cannot afford the Nikon service cost. 

I'm keen to get your point of view on this. 

Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment